Last report wordcount + chapter count/scene count: 1. 67,566 words and 28 chapters (NOBODY’S GODDESS 2)–first draft done
2. 53,861 words and chapters still not quite relevant because I hadn’t fixed it the random scene-jumping I did toward the end (NaNoWriMo project)
3. (New WIP) wasn’t even an idea yet
Current report WC + CC/ SC: 1. 67,909 words and 28 chapters (NOBODY’S GODDESS 2)–first edit completed (I didn’t make a lot of changes, obviously)
2. 59,463 words and 20 chapters (NaNoWriMo project)–first draft and first edit complete
3. 3287 words and 1 1/2 chapters (New WIP)–it wasn’t going to be my next project, but it was one of those “shiny new ideas when busy writing and editing other things” situations
WIP Issues This Month: I had a pretty good writing month! After I moaned last month, I all of a sudden had a burst of inspiration and got so much done! The biggest problem I noticed while editing was incorrect tenses. Since #1 above is in past tense and #2 and #3 are in present, and I was writing and editing all of them, I kept subconsciously writing in the wrong tenses.
Four things I learned this month in writing: 1. Typos happen, and sometimes you don’t even notice them while editing. It’s okay… Hopefully we notice them eventually!
2. Switching between tenses is hard.
3. A month off between finishing a draft and starting the edit seems to work quite well. (I usually jump in like a day or two later.)
4. The journey to publication won’t ever be as smooth as you hope, but you’ve got to keep trying!
What distracted me this month while writing: I’ve been busy with work and I saw a lot of movies. Also, my boyfriend and I played WAY too much Mario Kart 8. It’s addicting… 0_O I’m still querying FALL FAR FROM THE TREE; I’d taken some time off from it (just busy with other things) but decided to focus on it again this past week.
Goal for next month: My first task is to beta read for a friend. Once that’s done, and she’s beta read for me, I’m going to do another NOBODY’S GODDESS 2 edit, and then I’ll turn it in at the end of the month because it’s due August 1st. I’d also like to write an outline for the new WIP and try to write some more of it. I don’t think I’ll jump right into NOBODY’S GODDESS 3 because it’s not due until next summer, but I’m thinking about it.